This article provides you insight on gestational diabetes effect on baby’s health and ways to manage it.
Gestational diabetes occurs when diabetes is diagnosed for the first time in a pregnant woman. It is a health condition that can hamper a healthy pregnancy. A general observation is that around 5% of pregnant women suffer from gestational diabetes and its complications. One can always manage pregnancy diabetes with the help of a diabetes specialist. An untreated and improperly managed gestational diabetes have effect on baby and can cause a threat to the mother as well.
Diabetes can start in a pregnant woman at any stage of her pregnancy. Your doctor will get the diabetes check done as a part of your prenatal care and will help you manage a smooth pregnancy.
Feel free to skip ahead if one topic catches your eye:
Gestational Diabetes Effect on Baby
Diabetes is a deficiency of a hormone called insulin that metabolizes glucose in the body. When the pancreas cannot produce enough insulin, it results in increased levels of glucose in the blood. Similar conditions are observed in gestational diabetes but, when the diabetic condition is not treated or controlled, the blood with extra glucose enters the placenta and the child’s bloodstream causing the below complications.
● Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) : A few babies can develop low blood sugar or hypoglycemia which is because of high insulin production and they may cause seizures as well. Providing intravenous glucose immediately after birth and constant breastfeeding can help restore normal sugar level.
● Excessive birth weight : When high amounts of blood glucose enter the bloodstream of the child within, it causes high glucose levels in the child compelling it’s pancreas to produce more insulin. Since the baby is having more energy, the energy is stored as fat, and the baby tends to gain more weight.
● Preterm birth : Sometimes, diabetic conditions of the mother can increase the risk of an early delivery or premature delivery. Your doctor may suggest some delivery options, due to any complication of diabetes or because the baby is gaining more weight.
● Serious breathing difficulties : Sometimes it is observed that the babies can develop respiratory distress syndrome where the child will have difficulty in breathing.
● Type 2 diabetes : Children of mothers having diabetes during their pregnancy are at a risk of developing diabetes and even obesity later in their life.
● Jaundice : Bilirubin level in the baby can increase and can cause jaundice immediately after birth.
● Temporary breathing problems : The child from gestational diabetic mother has low blood sugar levels initially and can have a high risk of developing breathing problems for a certain period of time till their lungs are fully mature and strong.
● Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy : Sometimes, the baby’s heart muscles get thickened which fastens breathing and causes a dearth of oxygen in the baby’s blood thus affecting the heart.
● Other complications : There are other complications that gestational diabetes can cause like certain brain deformities or congenital malformations like spina bifida, etc.
There are chances of a stillbirth or death of the child immediately after birth.
Getting proper gestational diabetes treatment in delhi and maintaining low blood sugar levels during pregnancy is essential as your foetus has a high risk of associated complications.
How to manage gestational diabetes
Pregnancy diabetes treatment in Delhi can provide you solutions to manage with diabetes during pregnancy.
- Having a healthy diet to maintain an ideal weight required for the baby’s growth. Avoiding excessive consumption of high calorie and high carbohydrate foods that can increase the blood glucose levels.
- Exercising regularly with breathing exercises and walking that can be effectively guided by your doctor. Exercise lowers blood sugar and can help avoid other discomforts of pregnancy.
- Monitoring your blood sugar level regularly is necessary to check if they are in control.
- Sometimes insulin shots or medications may be required to lower the glucose levels which can be given if diet and exercise are not sufficient enough.
- Regular ultrasounds, other required tests and frequent check ups are required to closely monitor the baby’s growth. This is the most important aspect of the entire gestational diabetes treatment process.
- A follow up post delivery is done to check if the sugar levels have attained normal values.
Following a schedule and routine prescribed by your gestational diabetes specialist can help control your blood glucose levels as well as the associated complications to the foetus it can bring along.
Yes, Gestational diabetes has certain effects that hamper the child’s health. The exact cause of its occurrence is yet to be understood. However, understanding precisely the impact of it on your health and in turn, your child’s health is necessary. If diagnosed with diabetes during pregnancy, you need regular monitoring and maintenance of your blood glucose levels to keep the risks of various health complications at bay.
At Hemi soneja Clinic in Delhi, you will get the right suggestions, information, and complete care for gestational diabetes treatment in Delhi.